Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

One may think Invasion of the Body Snatchers is based on Communist or McCarthyism, but I believe the whole thing is a conspiracy of the pod people. I think the pod people are trying to take of the town, and are forming a conspiracy.
I do not think this movie shows McCarthyism, because I do not think there is any form of heroism in the movie. I think the pod people are wrong and do not show any sings or hero qualities. I do not see how the movie has anything to do with Communism either, because I do not feel that the pod people are trying to compete with the people of the town. I think the pod people are forming a conspiracy to take over the whole population.
When this movie was first released it was reviewed as a horror/si-fi film. It is known as a “classic” film. I do not see the movie as a “really” scary movie, or a si-fi film. I think today movies are a different kind of scary. When I think of a scary movie I think of movies like The Ring. I know things were a lot different when this movie came out, but I do not think it was too scary to be shown.
The original script of Invasion of the Body Snatchers did not start out the way it was released, and the one we saw. In the original, the beginning did not show the doctor, but in the revised one they added the doctor in the beginning to show he survived the pod people. I do not see how adding that part was so significant in changing the movie in making it not seem as scary as it was.
I would not tell people to watch this movie today, but I do think it is a classic movie. I do not think the movie shows McCarthyism, I believe it is a thing of the past. When I watched the movie, I thought the pod people were trying to corrupt the town and make a conspiracy. I do not think it is related to communism, because even though the pod people are trying to make everyone into one of them, I do not see that as communism. I do not think you can classify Invasion of the body Snatchers as just a horror or a si-fi film. Today it would not be considered a horror film. When I think of a horror film or si-fi film I think of a scary true story, for example The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Even though the movie gives the vibe of a dark scary movie, I do not see it as scary. It is filmed in black and white and most of the scenes are set at night. In the movie, the way you are attacked by the pod people is by falling asleep. Once you fall asleep, you are doomed. The pod people come into your house and take over your body. At the beginning of the movie, the doctor returns to town, and his nurse lets him know that there have been a lot of patients needing to see him because something is wrong.
Overall I thought this movie did not relate to McCarthyism or communism. I do not think it should be considered a classic horror film even though to some people it is. I think the pod people were forming a conspiracy in the town and one way the movie could have been better in my opinion is if they would have taken over. I do not want to watch this movie again, but I would tell someone else to watch it and have an open mind about it.

No comments: