Saturday, December 8, 2007

essay 6 Traditional vs. Abstract revised

Katie Creel

Traditional vs. Abstract

The synaesthetic art exhibit at Woods Hall was an intriguing experience. The artwork was very unique. There were a wide variety of art styles and mediums. It was difficult to choose just two works of art to describe. I like looking at art, but honestly it is not my favorite activity. The synaestheic art exhibit is hard to describe. It included more abstract and concrete art works than the ‘art’ I am used to looking at like paintings and portraits. It was more interesting than regular art museums though. I would recommend going to see this exhibit. It was entertaining to do something different.
I chose two different pieces of artwork. My favorite piece was the collection of the three photographs. The photographs captured very unusual and vintage images. The first was a picture of a charcoal grey horse in a field. Even though there was a background and other images in the photograph, the horse was the central image. I liked that the photographer captured the horse’s features in the photograph. The picture was simple yet defined. The next photograph featured a middle-aged woman holding a jar of eggs. This reminded me of collecting eggs at my grandparents’ farm from the chickens they raised. The woman was holding the eggs in a glass jar and had a bandana tied around her head. The photograph was stained in a way that made it look especially old. It was also very dark and dreary. It reminded me of the horror movie, The Ring. The last photograph was of a flock of Canadian geese. They were flying in the V formation. It looked natural and peaceful. The collection of photographs had an old-fashioned look to them, and I enjoyed viewing them. I loved how the three photographs were different yet flowed well together. I believe the artist was trying to emphasize simplicity in these three photographs. Sometimes art can be so busy and full of energy, which can be distracting. These three photographs really just focused on one subject and made it easier to find meaning in the art. I do not know exactly what the artist was trying to communicate, but it would be interesting to discuss it with the artist. I would love to hear the stories that go along with these three photographs.
My least favorite piece of artwork was the cylinder made out of shredded newspaper clippings. I think it was interesting how the artist made the newspaper stay in place. It was not my favorite because I did not think it was really art. I can see how some people may think it is a good piece of artwork, and that is why everyone can have their own opinion on things. Just because it is not favorite does not mean other people liked the artwork.
These two pieces of art are different in many ways. The cylinder is more abstract than the three photographs. The photographs are simpler than the cylinder, but I believe they hold a deeper meaning. Sometimes the simplest objects can be the most complicated at the same time. My taste in art is more traditional, not abstract like the newspaper cylinder, which is why I favored three photographs.

Stereotyping art is a mistake. It does not allow for creativity. Art is about being creative and inventive. Who is to say that one’s imagination must follow a set of guidelines to be considered art. Although, I do not like it when an ‘artist’ draws a line on a canvas and calls it ‘art’. That seems so mediocre to me. I like to look at art that appears to take some talent to create. Most of the artwork at Woods Hall appealed to me. I enjoyed looking at the art created by people in my community.

No comments: