Sunday, December 9, 2007

Animal Crackers revised

I do not understand why animal crackers are still around. These sweet crackers need to be taken off the market and never thought of again. No one in the world likes animal crackers. So why are they still around? Here is my story on why I strongly dislike them. When I hear the world animal crackers I cringe. I do not think I could describe to you how much I despise this certain crackers. I bet your wondering why did I decided to pick a food that I hate, but I think my relationship with animal crackers really does tell a lot about who I am and my strong feelings against them. It all started back in 2nd grade when everyone was eating animal crackers during snack time. My mom never bought them for me so I never ate them until snack time came. Snack time was like a fashion show; we all stood around and opened our snack bags together to see what everyone else had and to compare what we had with the newest coolest snacks. Of course I never had the coolest snack so I would try others. When I had my first animal cracker I did not particularly like it, but I thought I could learn to get to like them. That didn’t take long to change because after school one day I had a whole bag, and pretty much I got really sick, very sick and from then on I have hated them with a passion. This incident has affected me in a way that if someone near me is eating an animal cracker, I have to walk away for the fear I might vomit. If you have never had an animal cracker let me describe it to you the way I see it. It is a simple cracker in the shape of different animals ie elephant, lion, horse and it comes in a circus bag. The thing I find very unappealing about this infamous snack is that it is a sweet cracker. I think that crackers should not be sweet, but plain and not filling. They are made out of tons of sugar and graham flower. That is what makes them sweet. You would think that it should be made into a cookie but even a cookie is not that sweet.
I do not want you to think that I hate food but in fact I love food. Food is a very important thing for me. The process of selecting the meal when you are going out to eat is a very vital task and should not be taken lightly. I would be very disappointed if I went to a restaurant and I did not like the food I ordered. You are paying to eat and if you do not like what you get it can be upsetting. If you think about it food is a very big part of our culture, we even have a TV program decided to food and all the different ways you can prepare and the unique foods that are out there. It is pretty incredible how strong food is in our society.
The reason I chose to do this assignment in a negative way is because it shows a lot about me and my creativity. It’s not that I am a pessimistic person I am just very true and I know what I want. I will tell you how it is and I really appreciate people that carry that same character trait. I knew the first time I ate that animal cracker I didn’t like it but I just sucked it up and ate it anyway. Then I continued to eat them and that’s when I got sick. A first impression is extremely important to me as well and I think that tells a lot about a person if they give off a good first impression. The animal cracker I ate did not give me a good first impression. I don’t think that animal crackers explain who I am but it is my experience with these crackers that tells a story and explains a little about me. It is funny how just a taste of something can bring back very vivid memories of the incidents you have had with it. That is my dilemma with these animal crackers, everyone who knows me knows not the come near me if they are eating animal crackers . They actually have been around since 1902 and they have become a multimillion dollar industry. It was first marked as a seasonal item and now it is on every supermarket shelf. The question I ask myself is what about this cracker do I hate and how come I am one of the only ones who hate them. I want people to realize how horrible this snack is so they can discontinue them so no one else will go through that pain. My experience with animal crackers was bad but I did learn something about myself from that.

No comments: