Tuesday, November 20, 2007

12 steps to hit the curveball

From the time I was born until the time I graduated high school, the game of baseball was my life. Most children’s first word is either “mommy” or “daddy.” My first word was “ball.” I lived, slept, and breathed baseball. I found out the hard way that in order to be successful at the game of baseball, I had to be able to hit a curveball.

I was 11 years old and my Dixie youth baseball team was playing in the district championship game. I was the best hitter on my team so I batted 3rd in the lineup. Early in the game I had hit a two run homerun to give us an early lead. It did not last long though because they put in their best pitcher in the 4th inning. It wasn’t because he could throw a really hard fastball. I’m convinced that almost anyone can hit a fastball. It was because he threw a curveball. I had been playing baseball for 8 years at that time and had never faced anyone that threw a curveball before. People usually do not develop this highly skilled pitch until high school. He started striking out all of our players. It just so happened that the only time I faced him was in the bottom of the last inning with two outs and we were down by one run. I stepped into the batters box and got in my batting stance. The first pitch he threw was coming straight at my ribs so I jumped out of the way. To my surprise the umpire called it a strike. It had curved back across the plate. I was determined not to jump out of the way again. Here came the second pitch. As soon as he threw it, I had lunged way out and was in front of the pitch. The next pitch was right down the middle. I waited back on it this time. I swung as hard as I could because I knew I was about to hit another homerun. But instead of trotting around the bases with everybody cheering, I ended up walking back to the dugout ashamed with my head hung low. The pitch ended up in the dirt and I missed it by a foot. At this point I had an epiphany. I realized that if I was going to succeed in this game, I had to learn how to hit the curveball, aka “A pitchers best friend.”

I do not want anybody to feel the shame and disappointment from striking out on a curveball. After playing the game for 15 years, I have developed 12 crucial steps to hit the curveball.

Step 1. Step into the batter’s box and get your feet shoulder width apart. This gives you good balance and should help set up the following steps.

Step 2. Dig your back foot’s big toe into the dirt about an inch deep. This gives you good traction and a base to push your weight into the baseball when you swing.

Step 3. Line your middle knuckles up when you grip the handle of the bat. This will give you maximum bat control.

Step 4. Get into a comfortable batting stance. Everyone’s stance is not the same. You do not want to be tense when you are batting. Get Relaxed.

Step 5. Shift your weight balance to your back foot. With the weight on your back foot, you will be able to hold back and not be in front of the pitch when you swing.

Step 6. Lock your eyes on the pitcher and keep your head still. This prevents and distractions and keeps you focused. You also do not want your head moving because it moves your eyes off the pitch.

Step 7. Take a deep breath. Taking a deep breath helps keep you relaxed.

Step 8. When the pitcher releases the ball, focus on the rotation of the ball. This will help you discern the fastball from the curveball. A fastball rotates straight up and down. The laces on a curveball rotate off center to either side.

Step 9. Once the pitch is confirmed a curveball, hold your weight back with all your might. DO NOT LUNGE! Everyone’s natural tendency is to stride way too early because they are used to a fastball getting to home plate quicker. This is the most important step.

Step 10. Anticipate the break of the pitch. If you know where the pitch is going to break, you will have the best chance of making contact with the ball.

Step 11. When the pitch is half way to home plate, stride out with your front foot about 3 inches towards the pitch, but make sure you keep your weight and hands back. Once again, DO NOT LUNGE!

Step 12. As the curveball breaks across the plate, swing through the baseball. Keep your head down and watch the ball hit the bat.

By practicing these steps, you will have the best chance of hitting the curveball and becoming a great hitter.

No comments: