Sunday, September 23, 2007

Art is are. Everything else is everything else

For me, my idea of art is spelt with a capital “A”, so when it comes to analyzing art work, it is not my forte. Art is about communication and the messages the artist is trying to send out. So with that said, I am going to do my best and depict the way I see this master piece.
The first piece that caught my eye was “girls” This artist decided to show off her talents through pictures. The setting of this particular piece of art had five pictures posted up on the wall and dark lighting surrounding it. The pictures were situated about a couple of inches from each other and they were lined up like a story to be told. These weren’t just any pictures, they looked old. They were about the size of a notebook and each of them had a black and brownish tinting to them. They look as if they had been through many generations of a family. It kind of reminded me of the movie The Ring. The piece gave me an ire feeling which got my attention. Each picture had a different theme. 1. Two sisters 2. Bowed down 3. Backyard Sunday afternoon 4. Walk Away 5. Mourning Sisters. All of these titles really help me understand the piece of art. The first picture had two young girls sitting against a wall but you could only see their legs and shoes. You can tell they were young girls by their short frilly dresses and their little legs. What was interesting about this picture was the two young girls faces are not shown so the audience has to imagine what they look like. I think this is very interesting because usually a picture is meant to show you something, not to keep you guessing. The next picture shows a girl barefoot, seems like in her teens just bending over. You can tell she is near a barn or outside because the grasses looks like damp and not well kept. The look on this girl’s face is the most shocking. It’s a cross between apologetic and heart aching like she had been through a lot of misery. The way she is bending over looks like she is bowing but in a weak way as if she is very tired. The next picture titled Backyard Sunday Afternoon is the third part of this story. In this picture the setting is peace full. I think the name of the slide is very appropriate for this particular picture. The setting is in a backyard with trees and a wide open field. In the middle of this field is a little girl holding her hand up with joy. Her face is happy because of her smile and her arms are extended as if she just did a jump in the air. She is wearing a little white shirt and little shorts. This picture gave me the most trouble; I did not understand why the artist chose to put this exact picture in the piece. It kind of threw me off when I looked at it for the first time but I think maybe it means remembering their fun childhood or it could be one of the sisters had a child. The next picture titled Walk Away I think has the most meaning. It is a picture of a field with tall grass and a girl’s leg as if she were running. You can only see the bottom of her body but the picture is taken to the side. You can tell she is running by the way her foot is pointed and by the way her leg is situated like someone took a action shot. Her white dress is flowing behind her and her arms are in front maybe because of the speed of her running. I think this picture is just what is says it is walk away, but instead of walking the girl is running. The last picture Mourning Sisters is the creepiest. This is the picture that reminded me of the movie The Ring the most. It’s a picture of two ladies dressed in black with their hands folded in front. Behind them is another field. You can tell they are mourning by the color black they are wearing and how they are just standing there inches from each other so uniformed. I think the artist is trying to convey a story of two sisters and their hard times through life. In the beginning they are young and joyful wearing happy colors and cute dresses and the last slide is the complete opposite. Every detail helps the audience make an assumption on what the artist is trying to say. I think that is very cool and by doing this paper I have realized that.
The next piece of art that caught my attention was this structure someone had made. I studied this piece for a very long time and I just could not figure it out, but that’s what made me so interested in it. The structure was a pyramid, not just any pyramid. This had brick like boxes on the floor in the shape of a pyramid about 20 boxes on the bottom and about 7 on top. The top and the bottom are not connected. The top part was made out of paper and it had 7 pieces which all were connected to each other by string an attached to the wall. The most interesting thing about this was on the papers were these designs, they looked like scribble at first but if you come closer you could see they had a shape to them. They were very similar to the shapes on the brick like boxes on the floor. It was almost like a reflection. I thought that was a very cool idea. I am still not sure what it means or the message the artist was trying to make, but I just really enjoyed looking at it.
Both of these pieces had a message the artist wanted the audience to know. I think in the first one it was a lot more obvious. The second piece was very hard to understand but for me that is not the point of going to an art exhibit. I can thoroughly enjoy myself by just looking at the art work. But I do have to say by doing this assignment I have learned to really look at the details of the art work and try to understand it. Every detail is crucial in art. And the more details that are shown, the better understanding the audience will have.

No comments: