Sunday, September 23, 2007

Traditional vs. Abstract

The synaesthetic art exhibit at Woods Hall was an intriguing experience. The artwork was very unique. There were a wide variety of art styles and mediums. It was difficult to choose just two works of art to describe. I like looking at art, but honestly it is not my favorite activity. The synaestheic art exhibit is hard to describe. It included more abstract and concrete art works than the ‘art’ I am used to looking at like paintings and portraits. It was more interesting than regular art museums though. I would recommend going to see this exhibit. It was entertaining to do something different.

My favorite collection of art included a group of three photographs. The photographs captured very unusual and vintage images. The first was a picture of a charcoal grey horse in a field. Even though there was a background and other images in the photograph, the horse was the central image. I liked that the photographer captured the horse’s features in the photograph. The picture was simple yet defined. The next photograph featured a middle-aged woman holding a jar of eggs. This reminded me of collecting eggs at my grandparents’ farm from the chickens they raised. The woman was holding the eggs in a glass jar and had a bandana tied around her head. The photograph was stained in a way that made it look especially old. It was also very dark and dreary. It reminded me of the horror movie, The Ring. The last photograph was of a flock of Canadian geese. They were flying in the V formation. It looked natural and peaceful. The collection of photographs had an old-fashioned look to them, and I enjoyed viewing them. I loved how the three photographs were different yet flowed well together. I believe the artist was trying to emphasize simplicity in these three photographs. Sometimes art can be so busy and full of energy, which can be distracting. These three photographs really just focused on one subject and made it easier to find meaning in the art. I do not know exactly what the artist was trying to communicate, but it would be interesting to discuss it with the artist. I would love to hear the stories that go along with these three photographs.

My least favorite piece of art was the cylinder made out of shredded newspaper clippings. I thought it was pointless and looked like a pile of trash. It was interesting in that it all stuck together perfectly, but other than that it was not worth looking at in my opinion. I would never recommend that part of the exhibit to anyone. Everyone has different opinions of art. Some people might have liked this particular piece, but I did not. Apparently it was carefully thought out because it took some skill to apply the newspaper in a way in which it would not fall off. I believe the artist was trying to convey that somebody’s trash could be somebody’s treasure. Another point the artist could have been trying to make is that trash can be reused. Maybe he is a big recycling advocate. I agree with all of the points he is trying to make, I just do not like how he represented his feelings.

These two pieces of art are different in many ways. The cylinder is more abstract than the three photographs. The photographs are simpler than the cylinder, but I believe they hold a deeper meaning. Sometimes the simplest objects can be the most complicated at the same time. My taste in art is more traditional, not abstract like the newspaper cylinder, which is why I favored three photographs.

Stereotyping art is a mistake. It does not allow for creativity. Art is about being creative and inventive. Who is to say that one’s imagination must follow a set of guidelines to be considered art. Although, I do not like it when an ‘artist’ draws a line on a canvas and calls it ‘art’. That seems so mediocre to me. I like to look at art that appears to take some talent to create. Most of the artwork at Woods Hall appealed to me. I enjoyed looking at the art created by people in my community.

2 comments:

aepike said...

I think that your essay meets most of the requirements of the assignment given, except for a few points. First off, while you describe each work of art, you kind of wander of topic by telling what the art reminds you of instead of actually focusing on all the details and trying to depict them. Secondly this essay is a compare and contrast essay; I think you went a little skimpy in this area as it is the shortest paragraph. Try to dig a little deeper and find more similarities and differences instead of just grazing the surface.

I also noticed a few things you did well. Off the bat I noticed that you are assertive in your writing and don’t beat around the bush with the point you are trying to get across. If you can’t sound serious about your writing then who can take it seriously? Good job on that. Another thing I thought you did well was the way you describe the meaning of each work of art. Giving several explanations shows that you don’t know the actual meaning behind them, but that’s the truth, you don’t know the meaning. Having more explanations will get your reader’s mind thinking.

jtaycock said...

The first thing I Like about your paper is that your intro is extremely informative. You give very good descriptions on how the art museum looks and what is in the art museum. One thing that I think that you could change in the first paragraph is that you mentioned that you would recommend it to others. I think you would be better off if you would leave that for the conclusion and not the intro. Something that you did not do well on is that your thesis statement to me is very weak could be improved on. You also need to work on your conclusion paragraph as a whole you kind of get of track about the museum and talk about something else. When you are talking about the art with the paper cylinder you start out saying you hate it but toward the end you are giving it credit and some what sounds like you like the piece of art instead of your first statement the you hated it and would not recommend it to anyone. In the last paragraph you need to focus on trying to restate your thesis statement at the beginning of the conclusion Jeff Aycock