Friday, September 28, 2007

Gumbo Days (revised)

The gigantic silver pot that housed the tastiest meal even a king could fathom, sat dominating our kitchen stove. To my six year old eyes, the pot was intimidating as steam billowed out of the sides cascading slowley across the counter. My nose tickled as I smelled the "spicy air." I glanced across the kitchen to the clock; it was only 2:00. There were still three agonizing hours until dinner would be ready. I watched and watched the clock hoping that it might possibly speed up, bypassing time, and allowing dinner to be ready sooner. However, I was not lucky enough for time to warp. The clock still ticked away as it always did. The highly anticipated meal inched by as expected.


I can remember the first time I ever tasted Gumbo. I was six years old and just old enough to want to try new things. The thought of Chicken Nuggets or PB&J no longer excited me. I wanted to try what my entire family was eating, what they raved about, and what they had been slaving over all day. I wanted to eat gumbo!


I wonder now if I actually wanted to eat it, or if I wanted to experience it. It may sound odd, experiencing a food; but to me, gumbo is an experience. It is far more than the mere taste; it’s the anticipation, the actual process of cooking it, and more importantly the family. Gumbo is something special. It’s not like spaghetti, mac and cheese, or that odd chicken casserole my mom always makes. Gumbo is rare and having it for dinner is special. It didn’t matter what the plans were, if my grandmother announced that we were cooking gumbo, all plans were temporarily canceled. My uncle canceled his dates; my parents appointments were canceled; and my brother and I would skip practice or whatever event we had planned.


When family friends have the honor of joining us for a gumbo dinner they always ask for the recipe. But they never receive it. Among other things the recipe for my grandmother's gumbo is a family secret. It’s not written down in any cookbook or note card. It’s stored away in the mind of my grandmother, mother, and now me. I have watched my grandmother make it many times and she never makes it the same way twice. “It’s still a work in progress,” she always says. Regardless, I always watch with meticulous attention. I have not yet mastered the art of gumbo. I do however have high hopes that I might one day be able to craft such a delectable dish.


On a typical “Gumbo Day” the day starts off early. I’m not talking a late lunch early, I’m taking a before the rooster crows early. We all start by dragging our exhausted bodies out of the beds and begin chopping the bags and bags of fresh vegetables. The traps must be re-baited early in effort to collect the treasured Gulf Coast Blue Crabs. The shrimp, if we did not catch them our selves must be bought as soon as they arrive at Skinners Seafood. A few hours later the crab traps must be emptied, the crabs must be washed, boiled and cleaned. The claws are dismembered from the bodies and the gills which are called “devil fingers” are removed. The pounds and pounds of shrimp must be individually peeled and de-headed then washed. All the while, more vegetables are being chopped and the numerous spices are added to the roux. For the next several hours, the big silver pot must be constantly stirred over and over. All the while, the addicting aroma fills the house like a fog.


No one person can successfully make a pot of gumbo. To make a successful pot it takes a fleet. Delegation must take place to accomplish the daring task. It takes some to diligently chop the veggies, someone to handle the sometimes dangerous crabs, and several people to peel the shrimp. Typically when my family makes gumbo, everyone helps, whether they want to or not. Even my brother, who despises cooking, drags himself away from the water and helps.

Since there are so many people in the kitchen, jokes and stories are always exchanged. Given my family, more jokes are told than stories. Maybe this is one reason why I love the gumbo experience. I love making it with everyone. Sitting around the counter and meticulously chopping greens doesn’t seem as bad when your sides are ripping with laughter. It’s also amazing to have my family all together at one time, especially at the beach. Usually, my brother and I are on the boat, my mom is lying out, and my dad is fishing. When it’s a gumbo day everyone is in the kitchen. Maybe it’s because my grandmother demands extra hands or maybe it’s because they love the sense of family as well.


Some of my favorite memories of my grandfather, Poppy are during gumbo days. He would beg and plead my grandmother to make it, but she would agree only if he helped in the process. I can remember him dragging himself sluggishly to the counter. He shuffled his feet across the hardwood floor and always grumbled something incomprehensible underneath his breath. He always acted like he hated it, but he knew it was worth it at the end. I can remember sitting at the counter and hearing him tell his hilarious and sometimes inappropriate jokes. Now that he is gone, making gumbo always reminds me of him.


Gumbo really is a family meal. A pot of gumbo doesn’t make one or two servings. It makes about thirty. That alone implies that it’s a meal cooked for the masses. For my graduation party, we cooked gumbo for the guests. For the workers who helped after Hurricane Katrina and Ivan, we cooked gumbo for them. And for family and friends, we make gumbo. Whenever we cook gumbo you can expect a crowd. Like I said, gumbo is an experience in its own.

4 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...

Emily Lloyd

This paper was a very well written paper. You did a very good job on describing all of the long hard work that goes into making the gumbo. This was good because it makes the reader realize how special the dish is and that it’s not just an everyday meal. The majority of the paper is you describing how the whole family helps in the making of the dish and half the fun is the stories told. I really like this because your descriptions really make the reader feel like they’re a part of the family too. The paper is a comforting paper in the fact that you feel like you are in the kitchen cooking with the family.
There are only a couple things I would do to improve this paper. When you are talking about the process of making the gumbo, like chopping the vegetables and adding the spices, you could tell what vegetables and what spices are added. By telling what vegetables and spices you are adding the reader has an easier time visualizing the gumbo. You could also go into more detail of the cooking process of the gumbo or how you eat it. By adding this it makes the paper not only about how special the gumbo is but the family history of eating it. You could talk about where you eat it, inside our outside. You could also talk about if you eat anything on the side of it or even what you are supposed to drink this with. Adding this extra history would give people a better understanding of this special gumbo.
Right after paragraph six is where you could talk all about the history. This would fit here because you have built up the whole process of the making of the gumbo and then you describe what actually goes in it. In the last paragraph you could go into more detail of how the gumbo brings everyone together because it serves so many people. Maybe give more details about the times you served it to all of those people.

Chase said...

You did a really great job of describing the process of cooking to me, I really felt like I was in the room with your family while I was reading, but mostly because it sounds a lot like my own family when food is involved. I also loved the little bits you added about how much you anticipated the gumbo and how much everyone acted like they hated to do it but loved it in the end, I can also relate to that. One thing that would help your paper would be to throw in a few definitions of your cooking materials like the word “roux” I had to Google that one. Another thing that would really help your paper out is to cut out some of the repetition, I definitely caught the word meticulous used several times and words being used over and over again is a pet peeve of mine. Overall your paper is a very good paper and you really just need to focus on the little things, like removing unnecessary words. The main thing your paper has going for it is the fact that it really gives your readers a very personal or reminiscent experience and that’s what you should continue to focus on.

Will Azar said...

You do a very good job in your essay providing the reader with vivid descriptions of the food that you are preparing as well as the atmosphere in which this meal is being cooked. The descriptions that you provide make your essay very enjoyable and hard to stop reading. To go along with your descriptions the examples that you provide of your grandmother and grandfather do very well to provide the reader with a vision into your gumbo making experience. You also do a good job of staying on your topic and organizing your essay so that it flows nicely. Throughout the essay you keep on topic and follow the steps to making this gumbo.
There were not too many problems that I could find in your essay and the only things that I would suggest are that you may include specific details of what you put into the gumbo, if your grandmother would allow it. Maybe tell the specific spices and veggies that go into the pot. You could also add to your recollections of making gumbo with a memory or two of actually eating the gumbo with your family.
The two things that I would recommend you to focus on for future writing are to continue to use the vivid descriptions that you do when describing not only the food that is going into this meal, but also the descriptions of sharing memories with your family. Also focus on providing examples to further aide your descriptions.

Aaron Hupp said...

This is a very well written essay and I honestly don’t see a point in you messing with it too much. Your introduction is spectacular because of your great use of diction. The reader really gets the sense of anticipation that you feel. Also, I enjoyed your transitions between paragraphs everything flowed smoothly from one topic to the other. Some minor improvements could be even more description about how to make the gumbo. (ex. What type of vegetables) I think you could also give the reader a definite setting of where you’re from so your conclusion about Katrina does not just come out of the blue. I think you might have over used the comma and I saw one spot that needed a semi-colon, but other than that your grammar is superb. Overall very well written and nothing in it that I did not enjoy.