Sunday, September 23, 2007

Intelligent Art

Jeff Aycock
Intelligent Art

At the University of Alabama in Woods hall there is a fabulous art museum I visited just the other day. The art museum is filled with all kinds of art like pictures, paintings, and art that people have but together. There are two particular pieces in the art museum that I particularly like because the artist makes you think about the piece and make your own observation. The two pieces are the ray gun and the other one I cannot really remember the name of it but at the end of the paper you will have a good idea what it is when you go to the museum.
When you step in to the art room there is one piece of art work that really just grabs your eyes and just pulls your retinas to its attention. The art piece is a tremendous bail of newspaper and magazine clippings. The arties does not really just come out and just tell you what he is trying to tell you with his or her art. We really do not know what he or she is trying to tell us at first you really have to study the piece for a while and develop your own thoughts. At first glance you might see a high pointless cylinder shaped covered with old useless newspaper and magazine clipping. You might think that it is a replica of a hay bail made out of paper clippings. Some might think that it might not be just a hugh pile of rubies and think that it could possibly be something meaningful and useful, but might just need a little explanation. Others might not think it is garbage from the very first impression. They might think it is the best and most beautiful piece of art work that they have ever seen in their life, it just depends on how you look at it and what your mind set is.
The impression that this is a piece of art work is a piece of trash is definitely not an extremely bad take on the piece. When you look at the piece from the perspective then it definitely makes since to think that. When I walked into the museum for the first time and I saw that is what I thought. I did not think much of it because it did not look like it took that much effort, thought or time to make it. I thought that the arties took a round object and put a bunch of clue on it and then rolled it in a big pill of paper clippings until it was completely cover. Some people might have just stopped looking at that piece right then and go look at another piece.
Once I sat there and study the piece my thoughts changed from what is this artist think with this piece of garbage to how creative can a person get. I tried to think to myself if I were to make this piece what I would be trying to convey to the people that were looking at it. When I did this I could easily see this piece of art work on the side of the street next to a trash can or something with a sign on it that said something like what are you doing with your old paper, Don’t through it away recycle it and do something interesting. When I thought about this idea I did not think that the artiest was out of his might crazy any more.
There is a wall in the middle on the room; when u walk around the wall there is another piece or art work that is pretty emasculate. This piece is kind of like the first one in the since that is made out of recycle or scrape material. This piece is called the ray gun. I think that it is the most interesting piece of art in the museum. The way that it is made and the name that the artist has given it makes form two options about this piece.
The first thought I had is that he was trying to show us a weapon that they, the military or the government, made and used in the past. I think this because of house the artist has assembled the piece of art. The material he used was old rusted metal and strings. I think he use old rusted metal and strings because if he used new metal then the gun would not have the old vintage look that it had.
The second idea that I can up with is kind of the same idea that the first piece had. He could have been trying to tell people how he feels about throwing things away and recycling. From this perception you can kind of see that he could have gone to a junk yard or just collect scrap metal from a job site or something and make something with it. He is trying to tell us that it does not matter if you have the right materials to make something you can find something from somewhere to make something interesting.
In both pieces of the art I think that both artiest were extremely intelligent and spent a long time thinking of what they could create so that they would create something original and something that had multiple meanings to it. There are many other piece of art there in the museum that I have not talked about, but they did not catch my attention like the two pieces that I have talked about. You should not take my word for it though. You should come down to the University of Alabama and go visit woods hall art gallery and check it out for yourself, and go see some of the other art work by the deferent artiest that have put their work up. I think it will be worth your time and I do not think you will be disappointed.

No comments: