Thursday, September 6, 2007

Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers
Food Narrative
Essay 1

You are what you eat and in turn you are also what you do not eat. There is a certain reason why people fall in love with certain foods and there is also a reason people strongly dislike other foods. Here is my story on why I strongly dislike animal crackers. When I hear the world animal crackers I cringe. I do not think I could describe to you how much I despise these certain crackers. I bet your wondering why did I decided to pick a food that I hate, but I think my relationship with animal crackers really does tell a lot about who I am and my strong feelings against them. It all started back in 2nd grade. Apparently animal crackers where the thing to have back at snack time days. My mom never bought them for me so I never ate them until snack time came. It was like a fashion show; we all stood around and opened our snack bags together to see what everyone else had and to compare what we had with the newest coolest snacks. Of course I never had the coolest snack so I would try others. When I first had my first animal cracker I did not particularly like it, but I could learn to get to like it. That changed because after school one day I had a whole bag, and pretty much I got really sick, very sick and from then on I have hated them with a passion. This incident has affected me in a way that if someone near me is eating an animal cracker, I have to walk away for the fear I might vomit. If you have never had an animal cracker let me describe it to the way I see it. It is a cracker in the shape of different animals ie elephant, lion, horse and it comes in a circus bag. The thing I find very unappealing about this infamous snack is that it is a sweet cracker. I think that crackers should not be sweet, but plain and not filling. That is the complete opposite of animal crackers.
The reason I chose to do this assignment in a negative way is because it shows a lot about me and my creativity. It’s not that I am a pessimistic person I am just very true and I know what I want. I will tell you how it is and I really appreciate people that carry that same character trait. I knew the first time I ate that animal cracker I didn’t like it but I just sucked it up and ate it anyway, and that’s when I got sick. A first impression is key to me as well and I think that tells a lot about a person if they give off a great first impression. The animal cracker I ate did not give me a good first impression. I don’t have a metaphor to an animal cracker and myself but it is my experience with these unique crackers that tells a story and explains a little about me. It is funny how just a taste of something can bring back very vivid memories of the incidents you have had with it. That is my dilemma with these animal crackers, everyone who knows me knows not the come near me if they are eating animal crackers The question I ask myself is what about this cracker do I hate and how come I am one of the only ones who hate them. They actually have been around since 1902 and they have become a multimillion dollar industry. It was first marked as a seasonal item and now it is on every supermarket shelf. The thing that makes animal crackers different from other crackers is 12 oz soda and Grahams flower baked into fancy shaped animals. That is what makes them sweet.
I do not want you to think that I hate food but in fact I love food. Food is a very important thing for me. The process of selecting the meal when you are going out to eat is a very vita task and should not be taken lightly. I would be very disappointed if I went to a restaurant and I did not like the food I ordered. If you think about it food is a very big part of our culture, we even have a TV program decided to food and all the different ways you can prepare and the unique foods that are out there. It is pretty incredible how strong food is.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I really enjoyed reading your essay on Animal Crackers. I liked how you used creativity within your essay. You were very clear with the reasoning on why you didn't like animal crackers stating your argument in thesis form and in clear topic sentences. Your main points on why you hate Animal Crackers are supported by detail, examples and explanation. Though I enjoyed the essay , there are a few things that I think you could work on such as grammar, run on sentences, and clear pronoun usage. Also I noticed a few spelling errors. I really like your last paragraph because it makes a good statement , but maybe use it somewhere else in the essay.

Hillary Moore said...

1.2 positives!
- I liked that you took a unique approach to this topic and wrote about how a food you didn’t like symbolized you, instead of writing about something you liked. It showed that you do have a “tell it like it is” attitude.
-Your story about why you don’t like animal crackers was funny, and it was good that you even went into how they are made and how that contributes to your dislike.
2.2 things to work on.
- Work on grammar things such as run-on sentences, appropriate use of your/you’re, etc.
-The final paragraph could be moved to the beginning of the essay, maybe as a disclaimer of sorts to explain why food is so important and then reflect on this by describing how much you don’t like a certain kind.
2.Focus on:
- Organization, thought flow.
-The creativity. The essay is really personable and it’s like you are talking directly to the audience.

lauren vowels said...

i love that you chose to do the animal crackers in a negative way i hate them too!

get story tellling

you probably shouldnt use very so much or IE. instead maybe use for example

vital is misppelled

good job!!

kcperno said...

2 things you did well:
I liked how you did the opposite of a food that meant a lot to you and you actually did a food that you don’t like and you described the story of why you don’t like it. (I don't really like them very much either!)

2 things to do better:
I think you could reorganize the paper and make it flow better because some of the ideas seem choppy and like they need to be rearranged.
You could describe the animal crackers more and talk about them as a food more.

2 things to focus on:
Maybe you could tie the animal cracker back into the closing paragraph.
I think some of the sentences with “and” need commas to separate the ideas like some of the sentences in the first paragraph.