Thursday, September 6, 2007

How About Them Apples?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, or so I have heard. Whether it is true or not makes no difference, apples are still delicious. Apples can be red, green, and yellow, all being equally tasty, sweet and sour at the same time. Apples grow on trees and fall when they are ripe. I don’t think people actually do this anymore but apples are given to teachers. You can bob for apples, you can make candy apples, and you can easily juggle apples due to their spherical shape. When people hear the word fruit, the generic image is an apple. European settlers brought apple seeds to America and cultivated them. Apples are a symbol for westward expansion in that they were distributed in western states by a roaming folklore character named Johnny Appleseed. They are the universal fruit and are unmatched in the fruit category when it comes to popularity.
For as long as I can remember apples have been not just my favorite fruit but one of my favorite foods in general. I can even remember what I had for lunch every day in kindergarten: peanut butter and jelly sandwich, oreos, and apple slices—the green ones to be exact. I usually ate them with creamy peanut butter spread on top or dipped in gooey caramel. Mmmm just thinking about the delicious snack makes me hungry.
Apples can seem ordinary, simple, and generic. They’re not exotic or exciting but they have some underlying qualities. Apples are likeable hence their immense popularity. They are the standard of all other fruits, somewhat like a leader. Also the ordinary look of an apple disguises the juicy and tasty content. I believe myself to be likeable in the sense that well, I don’t have any known enemies. I also believe I possess some leadership qualities from my participation in playing baseball in high school. Some people describe me as a little shy until you get to know me. Similar to an apple there is much more to me. Apples being so demanded by many people show that those people all have a common interest. That common interest in something so simple represents another common interest in all people—to do well in life. It is my goal to do so and I think I am well on my way.

No comments: