Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Another Side

As the buzzer sounded to end the final athletic event that I would play
as a high school athlete, I knew that a major part of my life up to that
point had come to an end. Sports have forever been one of the most
important parts of my life, and the day that that final basketball game
ended on the court of Alabama State University something inside of me
died. Yes I am still an adamant sports fan and yes I enjoy taking part
in any discussion pertaining to sports, but the fact that I will never
partake in another athletic event with the same meaning or intensity of
those games played in high school puts a damper on my outlook of
sporting events.
I feel like sports, basketball for me, bring out the
competitive and intense nature of even quiet, laid back people like
myself. I have always been a shy, laid back kid, but I feel like those
characteristics of myself are thrown completely out of the window when I
enter into the competitive sports arena. Sports have brought out many
characteristics of myself that I did not know I possessed, and
probably never would have had I not been put in different situations on the
athletic field. I feel that my participation in athletics over the years
has helped to show me who I am in the sense that I have discovered many
sides to myself I never knew were there.

1 comment:

tippstein said...

Hey Will...
I don't quite understand what ended for you. Sports forever? Or just competitive sports in high school? I'm guessing just the high school experience, which, its true--when it's over is pretty definite. I played baseball for 15 years and I guess that last game in high school was pretty dramatic.