Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Laughter

My name is Diana Beckner and I am a child of five. Coming from a big family there are a few qualities you must contain to have your voice heard. A few of those qualities consist of having a loud voice, patience, manners, and one characteristic that defines you from the rest. My characteristic is my laugh. I have a laugh that is said to be heard from any distance. It is my character trait and has given me the nickname “woodpecker beckner”. The nickname emerged one childhood summer. I was spending the night with my best friend and we had just sat down to dinner with her parents, older brother, and one of his friends. I became caught up in her brother’s stories and the fact that he was her cute older brother. My laugh became nonstop. My loud, unusual laugh was given a name that was soon going to become my known nickname through all of Nashville. All it took was for her brother to say “you sound like a woodpecker when you laugh” and my new name became “woodpecker beckner”. The name “woodpecker beckner” has defined me from the rest of my siblings. Although “woodpecker beckner” is not the most flattering name, my laugh is what attracts others towards me and makes me Diana. My woodpecker sound demonstrates my energetic and positive personality. Laughing is one of the best things in life and I am so pleased that it is how people think of me. More importantly though, it separates me from the rest and allows me to be heard.

1 comment:

tippstein said...

This is a great post, Diana. I'll always think of you as "Woodpecker" Beckner, when I see you or call your name now, which is good, because it will probably make me smile too. This is a good example of how narrative/significant detail can work to build a "true" picture of someone. Nice job.