Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hello my name is James

Hello, my friends call me James not Jim. My full name is James B. Webb and to me a name has a lot to do with who you are in life. To start off with my first name, my great grandfather, on my father's side of the family, died the year I was born. When he died my mother and father both felt it appropriate to name me, the tiny fetus growing in my mother's womb James. As for the middle name I was named after someone who had saved my great great grandfather in the civil war during a battle. With my middle name I never introduce myself with it but when somebody ask I make them guess it. There has never been anyone to guess my middle name without a few hints to help them. But somehow in all the sort years I have lived so many people have given me nicknames.

I somehow have the ability, by dumb luck, to be given so many nicknames. One of my most hated nicknames is "mochilla," that nickname stuck. My Spanish teacher in high school hated the fact that I would argue with her about bringing my book bag to class. I had her last but the school's policy, after the school shootings in Colorado, was that caring a book bag would be dangerous. Everyday I would still bring my mochilla to class just to make her mad. By about a month of this she screamed at me "MOCHILLA LEAVE YOUR BOOK BAG IN YOUR LOCKER!". After that scolding my spanish name became mochilla, instead of the name I choose to be called when the semester started. I never brought my book bag again.

1 comment:

tippstein said...

So what is your middle name, Mochilla?