Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hi, I am Anna Thompson

Right now, I seem to be very much the small town girl from rural, East Alabama, wary of the big campus and the big changes that come with being a University of Alabama Freshman. I admit I feel timid and afraid, like a deer caught in the headlights. What a striking contradiction. Just a few weeks ago I was a very self confident, out-going, (even popular) senior at Clay County High School where everyone knew me by name.

Before Tuscaloosa, I have always lived in Ashland, Alabama and have enjoyed life there. Ashland is famous for two things—our football team and our Governor. Clay County High School has been State Champions (1A, 2A, 3A) more years than I can remember and I am proud to know Governor Bob and Mrs. Patsy on a first name basis. In fact, football and politics have influenced my life a great deal. I have been a cheerleader forever, serving as Varsity Captain my senior year. I served as Peewee and Midget cheerleader coach as well. As for politics, I have had plenty of exposure to that in Clay County. I have worked on numerous political campaigns including local, district, state, and national, democrat and republican. In my lifetime, rural Clay County has had a State Senator, U.S Congressman and Governor in office. Justice Hugo Black the only U.S Supreme Court Justice from Alabama was from Clay County. This past year, I was the recipient of the Hugo Black Memorial Scholarship and it is paying a portion of my tuition at UA.

My friends and I spent a lot of time attending and conducting church activities, eating out, and going to Anniston (it is 40 miles to the nearest mall). A two year Health Science Program I took in high school my junior and senior year is responsible for me choosing Nursing as my major in college. It is odd, but just by putting my thoughts together for this assignment I am getting more confidence in myself as a freshman student. I think I have the leadership skill, and the problem solving capabilities it takes to be a successful student. So look out UA-- here I come!

2 comments:

Kelsea S. said...

I didn't know all those politicians were from Clay County.

tippstein said...

I agree with your last sentiment--you seem to have a lot going for you! And your writing is clear and engaging too. Writing is often a good way to explore an idea. Here, you started with the idea that you were just a timid freshman and by the end transformed yourself into a future nurse. I look forward to seeing more of your writing.