Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Who is Jim McKenzie?

Jim McKenzie

The American lifestyle is one that is dreamed of by many. Many people, from all different nations of the world, travel to the United States of America to start a new life. I have been fortunate enough to grow up in a society where I have the decision to choose what religion I want to practice and have had the privilege to grow up without fear of persecution. Even though I have many different characteristics to describe who I am, if I had to choose just one it would be that I have American pride. Many people grow up believing that our country was given most of our rights to us on a silver platter. I know and cherish the fact that my countrymen and women have died to give us the luxuries of being able to go to an amazing school, live without fear of persecution, and most importantly to live in freedom. Even though having American pride is definitely a big aspect of my life there are still other characteristics that define me as a person. I am also a practicing Christian, a catholic to be exact. God has definitely made the biggest impact in my life. If I had not found God I would, without a doubt, be an extremely different and incomplete person. But don’t worry I am not one of the crazy radicals that thinks if you are not Christian then you are a terrible person. I believe in freewill and the right to choose if you want to practice different religions, if one at all. My family also plays a huge role in my life. I am very lucky that when my brother and I were little and got into a fight my parents would lock us in a room together until we forgave each other. The fact that my parents did this made my brother and me best friends. I can count on him to help me with any problems in my life. Now it is time to get down to the fun side of me. I do love to party a lot. I just love to be around my friends and meet new people. I was once told by a man, that I extremely respect, that “life is all about making relationships”. I have taken that phrase to heart and I truly believe that it is not my right to tell someone who they should be or what to do. In doing this, this helps me build relationships with people because they know that I will not judge them and I will truly understand them for who they want to be. I am a very diverse person and this is just a small portion of who I am.

1 comment:

tippstein said...

I think that you can channel a lot of that passion into your writing, as you've done in this piece. I hope you pick topics that mean as much to you--they'll always mean more and you'll have more fun writing them.