Tuesday, September 4, 2007

An Introduction to Lauren Vowels

Meredith Brooks, now there is an interesting woman. For some unknown reason, her song is drowning every minute thought that could possibly take shape in my head. I don’t know any other woman that could possibly put a claim to as many things as she professes to be. In a way her song “bitch” is a self-narrative of herself, along with a identity crisis. That sounds charming doesn’t it? Meredith Brooks is the kind of music that I grew up listening to. The amazing alternative rock that I loved growing up, now classified as nineties rock, has a new name now and it is called Nickleback and emo bands. Where has good music gone? I feel as if I were Don Mclean mourning the death of music, minus the three musician plane crash. How poetic is “soldier boy” or Nsync? Where is the depth in singing about guns and hoes? Now you want to talk about some good music, let us rewind a couple of decades to the seventies. Jim Croce is the greatest singer songwriter that has ever graced the world with his voice. My dad listened to Jim while I was growing up. Those were some difficult years for me. I was an awkward, mostly fat child. I had braces for four years. I thought I was going to be a zoologist, so I was an encyclopedia of random useless facts. I also had a pet turtle named Rontu. I managed to convince my mom that I saved Rontu from Lake Gunnersville. My mother must have really loved me because after that day I brought the swamp creature home, there was a non-stop stench for two years. She is a pretty awesome woman, my mom, and not quite as confusing as Meredith Brooks either.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I was an awkward kid to! I was not out of my awkward stage till like 10th grade.

Aaron Hupp said...

Yeah, I agree with your thoughts about music. Everything is to straight forward their is no creative subtly anymore

Chase said...

Heh, I also had a pet turtle at one time.

tippstein said...

You should check out some of the newer "freak" folk acts: sufjan stevens, devendra banhart, joanna newsom, bonnie "prince" billy, devotchka, grizzly bear, stars, beirut--all awesome. (none of that emo crap).
nice narrative by the way.