Thursday, September 6, 2007

Mom's Perfect Mixture

FOOD NARRATIVE,
ESSAY 1


Rodman passes in the ball to Pippen. Five….. Four…. Pippen passes the ball to Jordan. Three…. Two…. Jordan fakes the shot and dribbles past the defender. One…. Jordan shoots the fade away from the three point line. EEEEEERRRGGGHH. The buzzer sounds just as the ball rolls of the tips of my fingers. The ball rolls around the old, bent, and rusty rim for an eternity before it eventually descends through the net. Whoooo!!! Bulls Win!! About the time that I start celebrating the game winning shot of Game 7 of the NBA championship game that I had just made, my mom slings the side door open and calls me in for supper. “JEFFREY, the food is about ready,” my mother screams. I picked up my old worn out basketball off of the naked spot in my yard. There was not a lot of grass around my basketball goal because the ground was worn out and the grass was dead from the many imaginary championship games played there. It was another typical hot, humid north Alabama summer day. Sweat was pouring from my smaller eleven year old frame like water rushing over a rain-xed windshield during a rain storm. The temperature was probably around 92 degrees but it felt like 110 degrees. I walk in through the side door of my house and my father greets me with, “So did Jordan make the game winning shot for the Bulls today?” I chuckle a little bit, nod my head, and reply, “of course I made the shot.” My mother forces me to get a quick shower before supper because I am covered with a gross mixture of grass, dirt, and sweat. After my five minute shower, I meet my family at the dinner table just in time to hear my father ask the blessing. After the highly anticipated “Amen”, my mother did one the most amazing things that she has ever done for me. She filled my glass half-full of ice from the ice trays in our freezer that I had filled with water earlier that day. Then she did it; the most amazing thing she could have done for me after a hot summer day. She grabbed the gallon pitcher of her home made sweet tea and started pouring it into my glass of ice. The golden brown sugar filled tea rolled over the ice like water in a stream rolls over and through the rocks on the bottom. As soon as the tea hit the ice filled glass, steam rushed out of my glass. It was the most pleasing fog my eyes have ever seen. She hands me the angelic thirst quencher and I quickly devour two gulps. The chilling ice cold tea goes down into my esophagus and into every vein in my body refreshing my hot worn out figure from the hot summer day.

Six years later, forty or so starving and thirsty teenage boys get together for a weekly pregame meal that our parents have prepared. I am near the front of the line because seniors have seniority over the underclassmen. I pick up my paper plate, a napkin, fork, and steak knife. The first thing on the buffet are grilled t-bone steaks. At this point I am glad that I am in front of the offensive linemen so I was sure of getting a steak. Next in line to go on my plate is a smoldering hot baked potato wrapped in a heat blanket of aluminum foil. To make sure I get the full effect of a baked potato, I grab some butter and sour cream. Last in the buffet style line are the sweets. There was anything from brownies to cupcakes. I am not a real big fan of sweet stuff but just for good measure I grab a cupcake that has “Go Bears” written in purple icing. Some of my teammates have me a seat saved so I go put my plate of food down at our table. It is now time for me to get something to drink. Each parent brought a different drink. We had a large variety to choose from. We had the dark caffeinated drinks such as Coke, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper. Then we had the light caffeinated drinks such as Mt. Dew, Sprite, and Sierra Mist. Then there were a couple parents who had brought diet drinks or tea. We had two coolers of sweet tea: one my mother had made, and one from some lady who had apparently never made sweet tea before. I grabbed a Styrofoam cup and filled my cup with tea from the first cooler. Well, it was supposed to be tea. It tasted nothing like the tea that my mother makes and to be honest it was disgusting. It tasted like it had been made with seven tea bags and a half a cup of sugar. Needless to say, I poured the nasty tea out because obviously I did not get it from my mother’s cooler. My mother makes a gallon of Louisiana tea with one tea bag and one and a half cups of sugar; the perfect mixture. I refilled my cup with my mother’s tea and finally sat down to eat.

Moving to a large city was a big change for me coming from one of the smallest communities in Alabama to one of the largest. I have been in Tuscaloosa for about a month and have already eaten more varieties of food than I ever have back home. There are so many great places to eat down here. None of these places have sweet tea that is even worthy of being at the same table as my mom’s tea. The tea down here is either too sweet or not sweet enough. The one thing I miss the most is my mother’s tea. I plan on going home for the weekend back to my hometown of LA (Lexington, AL). My mother called a couple days ago and asked what I wanted for supper Saturday night. I told her that it did not matter what she cooked as long as she had some sweet tea made.

3 comments:

Ryan T said...

Jeff, the one thing you are doing well on in your paper is that you are giving the reader a visual on everything that is happening around your typical summer day and other situations in which you are craving the sweet tea. You are letting the reader understand why it is the sweet tea tastes so good and how much you like it compared to other drinks and also comparing the taste of your mother sweet tea to other places outside your home. One thing you could improve in your essay is in telling how your mom acquires or puts together this sweet tea, to make it so much better than other places sweet tea, at the start of the essay opposed to the end. You could also specify that the players are a bunch people preparing for a football game as opposed to just saying pregame.Another thing you could do in your paper is better organize sentences and possibly take out unnecessary ones. Finally, when all changes are made you should go back and proofread your paper to check for grammatical errors and making sure tenses are used appropriately.

Catherine said...

2 things doing well—

1. You have very good detail in this paper describing your memories of baseball and your mom’s sweet tea.
2. I also thought there was a lot of creativity in this essay because you told many stories.

2 things person could do better

1. I definitely think you need to work on organization in this essay. You have one large paragraph that needs to be separated into lots of paragraphs. Your ideas are scattered and it confusing as a reader.
2. Also make sure you revise your paper before you submit it. I came across a lot of grammar problems throughout your essay. Check for the right spelling and CS.

2 areas to specifically focus on

1. Separate out a paragraph for an introduction, introduce your moms tea and tell about it. Maybe even tell the recipe. Why is it the best tea? What makes it that perfect sweet taste?
2. Also I would like to see a paragraph with a little more history of the tea. Is it a family recipe? How far does it go back?
3. I would say cut back a little on the story telling (but definitely keep some in because that’s what makes your paper so creative) and put in some history, feelings, etc.

LMorris said...

Leann Morris
The beginning of your essay is very intriguing. The description of the imaginary game really makes the reader interested in continuing with the essay. It is a good start. Also, throughout the essay you include many adjectives which help depict the picture of what is going on; however, sometimes it gets too wordy. With descriptive essays you have to be careful that you use the right amount of adjectives to make a clear picture without going overboard. You have a few spots where there are just too many words describing one thing. It makes the essay harder to read. Another thing you could improve is when you talk about past events and then transition to present ones, make it clearer. You could use paragraphs or transitioning words. One main jump that could use some clarifying was when you talk about the football dinner into talking about when you called your mom. When you go to revise, focus mainly on cutting out unnecessary words and making the essay flow smoother. Check also for grammatical errors. You have a few run-ons, use commas. Overall, it is a very interesting story to read about.