Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Small Town Boy- Jeff Hurn

I grew up in the small town of Lexington, Alabama with a population of less than 2,000. Sports and church have had the most influence on my life other than my parents. Most kids’ first word is either “Mommy” or “Daddy”, but mine was “ball”, foreshadowing the influence that sports would have on my life. I started playing ball when I was three years old. I played all three major sports, (Football, basketball, and baseball) baseball being my favorite. Every weekend of every summer up until I was in the sixth grade you would find my parents and I at Lexington Youth Baseball Field. That place is where I met most of my best friends and where I have the best memories. I learned how to compete with and against others, while developing leadership and communication skills that have made me who I am today. I was also raised in the church. My great grandfather was a well known preacher in North Alabama. I guess that helped keep my family in church, thus, keeping me in church when I was a child. I was saved and baptized when I was around eleven years old. Since I became a follower of Jesus at a younger age, I never really got involved in the partying or drinking things that most teenagers get involved in. I am very conservative when it comes to political views. Mostly because of the main political issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage. I base most of my decisions and beliefs on the bible. I am not a religious nut by any means like some people are that give people the wrong conception of Christianity. I have fun and live life to the fullest, but I just try to follow the bible in regards to how I live my life and the decisions I make.

1 comment:

tippstein said...

Hey Jeff...who was your grandfather, and what makes a famous preacher? That's interesting to me. It makes me think of Faulkner for some reason, mythic figures of the South and such.